Monday, August 15, 2011

Delighted!

Vastly encouraged by your positive response to my last post, I have gone a bit overboard in my enthusiasm today. Couldn't resist sharing my 'Sombrero moment' ! The food was sooooo inedible in this joint , and I was sooooo hungry, the only way to cheer up was to pose for this fun shot.

There is something about those mariachi men ( they look like Keralites, na?). This guy and his musicians serenade ladies at a really marvellous restaurant called Villa Maria in Mexico City. I tasted my first Tamarind Margarita here..... and it must have been potent enough for me to sing CuCuRuCuCu ( the Cockroach song) with this dude. Charming chap. He had all the old biddies swooning!



Aah.... the magnificent Sun Pyramid at Teotihuacan.I would have loved to clamber all the way to the top, but better sense and bad footwear discouraged me that hot, steamy afternoon. Besides, I felt spooked after hearing the guide's vivid accounts of human sacrifices conducted on top.... followed by his even more vivid description as to why the broad street along the pyramids is called the Avenue of the Dead.





Isn't that a beautiful altar? All gold! With gold prices being at an all time high worldwide, one could only gape at the splendour and not put a staggering number to its worth. There is gold in dem hills, amigos. And silver, too. I bought a bold, huge silver ring and convinced myself it was for good luck - still waiting for a windfall!







Wow??? Definitely. And a double wow after Pope John's visit. This is one of the most important religious centres for Catholics the world over. I got lovely rosaries to gift our devout staff at home .









A mass is said every hour in this gigantic area next to the old cathedral, and it has been designed by a famous Mexican architect. I was lucky to be there when mass was on. I felt uplifted and moved by the transparent faith and deep devotion of the congregation. I prayed with all my heart.... and I am sure at least one special prayer will soon be heard. If it is, I shall post the good news here first.

There are more images coming up - like the Frida Kahlo Museum , which is as vivid as her life and work. Now that my BlogDosts have given me an unambiguous thumbs up, I shall make the most of the opportunity. You know why? Because it is OUR space, and I value what you say!

************

For the first time in my life I have felt totally blah about India's Independence Day. For the first time, too, I felt discouraged and disheartened. In fact, I turned down every single request to appear on those meaningless TV Shows that are created to 'celebrate' the occasion with talkathons galore. It would have been a hollow, futile exercise for me. Who needs hollow?

Then there were several attempts to get me to talk about the Big Fast scheduled for tomorrow. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. As Rhett Butler famously said to Scarlett O'Hara at the end of 'Gone with the Wind."












20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same feeling about this independence day!! Somehow the freedom sounds like an over rated word.

http://chintangupta.blogspot.com

AAD said...

Great post!
I do relate to your feelings about being blah about the I-day festivities, sometimes i think the news channels can kill the actual sentiment behind the day and kind of cheapen it.
I recently wrote a post about the I-day celebrations from an NRI's pov and how when I was in India I never gave it so much thought, but after leaving India, it became a very important day to celebrate my indian-ness since there were few opportunities to do so abroad...

Shailee said...

Shobhaa!! We need your reviews on Aarakshan.. I saw the movie and it was awesomely and supremely boring. However would like to read what you think about the movie.. please please.. pretty please! :)

goodluck said...

Shobhaa,I am glad that you turned down those stupid tv shows.

Love your honesty and exuberance.

Sameer said...

so glad you turned down those tv interview opportunities...meaningless debates and same old sentiments expressed by same old suspects...need a drastic change and a complete overhaul of the system...although i have to admit, as an NRI, I feel over the top patriotic today (more than what I used to feel when I was in India)and totally in the mood for those black and white I-day songs...and yes, i am glad you listened to your heart and our requests to post pics./descriptions of the places you visit....Amit (my partner) and I went to Cancun for our honeymoon last year and I totally loved the experience (although one can argue Cancun in more US than Mexico, but got to visit the countryside in our visit and I liked it -- found lot of similarity with India)....btw, post some Pune pics...wud love to read ur perspective on changing Pune --from Hatti Ganapati to Hyatt regency...

kakaka said...

I think you should go on those talk shows and ask where Ms.gandhi is right now?
Dont you think it is very fishy that she has disappeared at this particular moment, which is so very tense .
what it her medical consition, where is she and why is this a secret?

I am afraid something terrible is happening here.

Ambika said...

Independence Day is always a special day. I love wearing patriotism on my sleeve otherwise too.
But, you are right, talakthons leave the viewers breathless and exhausted. How much of different and new Indianess can you peg twice a year - August 15 and January 26th.
Anna Hazare...man he is going to be responsible for the traffic blocks when we rush back to be home this evening. A safe journey is what I want. Anna listening?

Pooja Rathore said...

you look bright in the picture(the one with colorful top- first pic)nice pictures with good info on the same,i too sent a prayer to almighty focusing on the cross in the picture.
About the windfall it will come between sep to dec2011-(numerological guess) if the ring is really lucky then it will bring the windfall in the stated period evenotherwise these months are usually good for 7 person every year.
iam happy that your back with your enthusiasm and not to forget great pictures....love u!
wise decision to stay away from tv channels.

Harish said...

yaa.. so mallu they look...

are you sure there is no cross connection...

i mean, besides moon, and mars, i dont feel any area would be without Keralites...

*************************************

independence day should be called in dependence day. lame and blame are the centerpoints of this political game...

seriously, there is nothing left to celebrate in india. Politics and controversies are not any more sexy and juicy as they used to be. Time for Kahaani Mein Twist...


god knows ithihaas ka which panna will get paltaooed by anna.

चंद्रमौलेश्वर प्रसाद said...

DELIGHTED :)

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Oprah's magazine "O"? Every single issue has a photo of Oprah on the cover. Too narcissistic, if you ask me. Is every post of yours going to start with a photo of you........?

majvivekyrai said...

Good to see you taking sum nice pics ,maam i am ur avid fan ,keep up ur gud work ,u'ill always find millions of supporters like me ,cause u kick ass every time with ur writing -its like I wud say god gimme me a girl with your kinda intellect .plz take no offence i am a widower since last 8 yrs and am 39.

Radhika Gupta said...

Amazing pics shobhaa... n for me, the true independence would to live in a society free of corruption, poverty and other social evils...

Divya (Virmani) Chadda said...

Great clicks Mrs. De. I agree with Radhika's comment. A corruption free India is what I would like to see in my lifetime! Let there be thousands of Anna's out there and let there be traffic all over India. Afterall, we'll have to bear some of problems right now, if we want to live peacefully without handing over some 'karcha paani' while getting a signature on our passport or an admission to a school or any and every damn thing out there!!!
http://divyavirmani.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-i-day.html

Anonymous said...

Hey Shobhaa,

I have been following your blog regularly. The reason i read it or look forward to reading it is not because its a travelogue but because of the variety it has to offer and ofcourse the way u write it.

I like the fact that one cannot categorize these blog entries. The topic could be anything ... one day its the poha u ate, another day its about Kat, another day its Mexico city,another day it could be about the saree that your next door neighbour wore and another day its the Lame Duck... its the variety that i look forward to.

Thanks,
B

Tsomo85 said...

Love those red hot lipsticks!

Ghata said...

I think u shud give a damn about the "Whole fast thing". If we cannot carry the btaon in our hands, we should atleast support the gentleman who is rising up for a cuse that is not selfish. It concerns YOU, ME and the entire nation.

RightGadget Acer Laptop said...

Karbonn is the brand that aims to offer more and more utility features. Not to be worried about, because this brand has a inverse relation with the number of features and price, more features less price, but not the reverse. That’s the USP for Karbonn mobile segments that www.rightgadgets.in/items_subcat.asp?Category=Mobiles_India_Online&cid=1&brand=Karbonn host.

Ashwini Sane said...

M'am, We love you and your writing, and it is your space and style, but I cant help feeling that after your Marathi Awards function experience with Mr Hazare, you do have some negetivity about him. You have to admit the 'lok Pal' Bill is worth a shot, and if he doesnt fast and create an impact it will not be passed. It was introduced approx 30yrs ago and has been swept under the carpet ever since. Am just surprised at your reaction , thats it. But you have the freedom and right to your opinion.

saravanan said...

wow!!wat a nice post.Sun Pyramid really nd by famous Mexican architect built altimate.thanks for post.its very usefull every one.

http://tagoremedicalcollegeandhospital.com/