Monday, August 1, 2011

Mole and grasshoppers...

For those amigos who are wondering why I don't like Mexican cuisine, here's the answer: yesterday, I was invited to the estate of a refined couple ( the host, a lawyer, may run for President ), and fed local delicacies that included fried grasshoppers and crumbled pig's skin! Okay, the cactus I could handle.... it tasted like portobello mushrooms... but the rest??? The mole sauce was outstanding... poured over the chicken in abundance. I got the house recipe for it, from our beautiful hostess ( a former dancer). Five kinds of chillies, almonds and chocolate, of course.
Mexico had just started to grow on me, when it was time to pack our bags and say adios to our newly made Mexican buddies, who raised the perfect toast when they declared, " To old friends... and new family." Mexico City was worse than Mumbai.... but my God, the museums ( Frida Kahlo!) and the pyramids just an hour away, made up for the madness of the metropolis. Unlike Mumbai, where people do tend to be indifferent to strangers, the Mexicans were consistently friendly and most welcoming.... especially when they found out we were from India. But sorry... the food just isn't for me. And it is NOT the Tex-Mex rubbish the world associates with Mexican cuisine. It was also good to learn first- hand just how passionately patriotic Mexicans are. That explains their love-hate relationship with America. And their intense dislike for Spaniards. Viva Zapata, lives!
Well.... am off to Brussels. The place with the prettiest square in Europe, and the best chocolates on earth. More from Bruge and Antwerp in my next post... whenever that is.
Keep the comments coming. I read every single one of them. And respond to a few personally...

14 comments:

Sanjay Ray said...

Hi Shobhaa

Thanks for your reply to my last comment.

This one I agree 100% that Grand Place/Gra Plas is indeed the prettiest square in Europe.

The chocolate I'm not so sure as somehow I feel GODIVA makes them the best but, surely I will go for a pint or two of the local brew - anytime!

Have a nice time at the beautiful Bruges and Antwerpen.

Cheers,
S!

raj said...

I have been following your blogs now for over two months. First thing in the morning I look for one. It is not so good a morning when a new post from you is not there. please do not skip a day.
raj

Rujuta said...

Hi..
Great to hear for the adventures in Mexico...

Looking fwd to Brussels adventures now:))

Take care...

Best Wishes
Rujuta

Anonymous said...

HI Sobhaaji,
Heard abt you from Mr.BigB's blog. One evening you responded to him for the BHTBaap's success. HOpe you recollect! However after i went through i found your blog equally intersting in several aspects. Glad, you are exploring much bout Mexicans...Believe, much more you wld in ur further visits. Good day greetings and happy exploring:-)

Divya (Virmani) Chadda said...

Mrs. De,
Glad to find out that you do read each comment! I wasn't sure if I am commenting for you or the other blog readers to read! LOL...

As far as mexican food is considerd, I fancy it a lot! Enchiladas, Chipotle bowl, salsa and the bestest is guacamole! :)

Enjoy Brussels :)

Manisha Borwanker said...

Hi!
More on Mole sauce please!

Wannabe blogger said...

Hi,
Love your blogs, although I don't always agree with what you write.

M Lamba said...

Hi Shobha,

My husband and I are doctors working on cancer research in Brussels.I am an avid reader of your blog and more importantly, like your zest towards life. It would be our honour to host you/ meet you while you are in Brussels.Please let me know so that I can send you my contact details.

pankaj02 said...

mera no. kab ayega... loll
Thank God Our comments r not wasted(unread)....

Unknown said...

Successful

Unknown said...

The visit was useful. Content was really very informative. From www.rightgadgets.in/items_subcat.asp?Category=Printers_India_Online&cid=9&brand=HP&scat=48*

Soulmate said...

Hello ma'am.
This is the first time that I am writing a comment on your blog.As usual,your blog is influencing and makes me to leave my seat and dash to the airport to catch a plane to Mexico.
I always read your blogs and articles in 'The Week'. They are thought provoking.I wish sometimes that I too could write like you......tc.bye.

Uppal said...

Hi Shobhaa, A great post.Why,I like Mexican Tortillas stuffed with chicken and veggies and also their's, a type of small corn bread.

There are no two views about the qhality and taste of Belgian chocolates.Their luciousness and the melting process is unparalled.

News to me that you reply to some comments.Not so lucky yet.Best of journey and take care!!!

Astrid A. said...

Mrs. De,
I was reading your Mexican adventures again, I just hope you didn't forget your friends here, we certainly didn't forget you.

From some girl that went with you to the Frida Kahlo's Museum and a year later visited you in Mumbai.
Kisses!