Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Bakul phool attack...

Hey. Hey. Hey. The numbers game is on. As of now, it is anybody's guess as to which party will manage to cobble a government together. I am out of it totally. It is such a silly and futile exercise to try and 'guess' in any case. Unless you are a serious punter and have money riding on the outcome.

Have been running around frantically all day. My son ( Caramel Eyes) gave me a fancy pair of shades ( Prada Classics) on Mother's Day. That was a good one. I am a shades freak all the way. His taste is more Chrome Hearts. But I guess he thinks Mom should stick to classics. Little does he know I've been lusting for those hearts all along. My daughters attack the collection of shades I've been jealously guarding all these years. "They are just so vintage", they coo. That's because they ARE vintage, I scream. My son is not impressed when I state how lucky they are to inherit the lot some day. He says he can't wear them to begin with. What about a wife, I nudge, in a not-so-subtle fashion. He isn't buying.

My wonderful Marathi translator, who has done such a brilliant job with three of my books, came over at tea time. Over hing-kurmura, we discussed the political scenario.... and Ashwini Bhave ( wew both agreed she is terrific).And guess what Aparna Velankar got me?? An exquisite gajra made from Bakul blossoms! The entire home is filled with their sweet, clinging fragrance. I shall wear them around my wrist tonight and drive John Makinson crazy ( Bakul can be overpowering). Well, John's a really cool guy, and he is the Chairman of Penguin Books. But I have managed to get John to do a few unlikely things - like dance to Kaajra Re at a Penguin party in London. His astonished Brit colleagues needed smelling salts for weeks. Tonight, I shall subject the unsuspecting gentleman to a serious Bakul phool attack. For more on what happens at the Black Lounge in Indigo tonight..... watch this space tomorrow.

16 comments:

Anon said...

Wow! Missed this blog (the only 1 that's worth foolowing according to me) more than I could imagine. Was out of town in an area where even my berry could not connect me to this blog. Soo missed my nightly dose of cool!
The numbers game is a pity, really it is but its necessary in the end. Only sad part is fragile sometimes uneasy partnerships where a lot of appeasing needs to be done & sadly its at the expense of what could be good for the public sometimes. But such is life getting philosophical won't help.
Looking forward to hearing about tonight. You are one seriously cool rocking lady! Keep up the great work.

sayrem said...

kajra re?? SERIOUSLY?? :D

Hemish said...

Ur a one cool lady!!

Anonymous said...

Woman Prime Minister, Possible ?

Vyne said...

Yeah, the numbers game......every party is a potential ally...and every promise a potential lie:(

Ire said...

Now that is the best dance number according to me! Haha have fun!

Priyadarshini Karanjai said...

Elections have become boring! The numbers now give more of a headache than excitement. We are trying to keep the hype alive by talking about it but alas!
Ha ha I once lusted for a gucci pair... but my parent's 2 days of hard work isn't worth anything.

NG said...

nothing like prada when i comes to glasses :)

Sidhusaaheb said...

I'm betting on a Congress-led govt. Let's see if there are any prizes for guessing.

:D

parth said...

hope to see tthe video of him dancing on kajra re

freakaholic said...

As for the jelly that would toss our country or vice versa, but of course by definition, the government...it would be vintage again with gobblers of the nth order with absolutely no cause, sauce nor menopause... amen!!!

roxy
http://www.freakaholioxic.blogspot.com

Sameer said...

Aparna did amazing job with your book selective memory. I mention that book because that's the only book I read so far. I think I could connect with you a lot because the book was in my own mother tongue (marathi)and so emotions and incidences were very live for me. I am living in US for almost 9 years now but still nothing clicks with me as someone saying "kaay mhanatos?" :)

Gajendra said...

Am a sunglasses freak too, but unfortunately haven't been able to afford one yet :(
I want a rimless ray-ban aviator (Limited means you see, no costly designers for me)

@Shobhaa: I wanted to ask you something, is it really possible to maintain the same maturity and poise in person when interacting with people as compared to one can be while writing stuff(say for example the articles that you write)?
In stuff that we write, there can be no two ways about it, we can once and for all fix the emotions, the poise and have great control over the expressions. But in person, there can be lot of goof ups because much of the interaction is reactive and our self is conscious.

Vidya Raju said...

You are so cute, I get those un-subtle hints about marriage from my mother all the time.. she also throws in, 'companionship' 'loving' 'sharing' and mush like that once in a while... my sympathies with your son :)

P said...

Haha, a gora dancing to Kajra Re? ;)

Harish said...

I bought my mom naya specs too... so even my mom is a sexy spexcy mommmy... Come on Aditya... lets have a "My Momma Beautifullest" Contest.

I am smart... no second thoughts of inheritence, i selfishly buy all unisex stuff for mom. So see, i am the natural heir.

***********************************

Ashwini Bhave... she belongs to marathi cinema... she shouldnt dabble in Hindi.. have you seen kadaachit... Baghaaa Ho! Ekdam Terrific aahe Aaamchi Ashwini.
***********************************
Do tell us about the victims of your Bakul Phool Attack... Im sure they will love it.